Skip to main content

RR #5 - Adding Character (Sets)

When I first received the coder's ZX Spectrum assets for Reckless Rufus, I was pleased to see that he was already using a custom font rather than the Speccy default. There was, admittedly, nothing particularly special about it, and either he or I had replaced it with something completely different very soon after. I don't recall who made the call or when it happened, but the SCREEN$ I have labelled as "2nd draft" has a cuter, curlier font in place for the few text characters the original, basic UI used. Given that the C64 game had such a strong, distinctive typeface (several, in fact) I felt it would be worthwhile developing something similar enough, but within the Spectrum's limits. 

From the C64 version, the choices were as follows:

The title screen uses both an angular sans serif font, and a similar, but irregular font where horizontal and vertical parts are of inconsistent lengths within each character and some corners are rounded. The bonus screen shown between each level uses a more basic-looking font, albeit with a similar, asymmetrical uppercase 'Y'. I figured it wouldn't be worthwhile creating Spectrum versions of all of these, so I didn't waste any effort, except for creating a larger, bold font the score that were ultimately left out. I didn't have complete reference for the characters in any of the C64 game's fonts, but the irregular one used for the credits and scroller on the title screen was by far my preferred options, so I set about adapting that into 8x8 pixels. This was originally roughed out on graph paper along with the sprites and tile designs, while watching one of the VHS recordings of the C64 version. Since most of the video was focussed on the game, there were only brief recordings of the title screen, so this involved a lot of rewinding and pausing to catch as many characters as possible:

The above isn't the first draft, though - I can see from my collection of SCREEN$ files that, for example, the upper-case 'M' was originally quite different. Once I was happy, I built it up using The Artist II's built-in font editor, creating a complementary lowercase set, numbers and assorted special characters as well, and saved it off for the coder:

Funnily enough, though, this isn't precisely the font that ended up in the game... and I can't remember if that's because I amended it further from my paper copy within The Artist II (which was common enough, since seeing something on-screen is a very different thing to looking at pencil on graph paper), or if the coder altered my font as well as ditching many of my sprites. From what I've seen of the numbers, in-game, they're barely different from the Spectrum's default character set. All the more disappointing when it came to the score, which not only got coloured in green rather than red, but was just an ugly, double-height rendering of the basic font.

Regardless, while adapting my assets to the SAM, even as far back as my first, faltering steps on the machine, I tweaked the font further. More recently, I've gone back and taken a closer look at the C64 version, both in YouTube videos and in screenshots on fan sites, and realised that I got quite a few characters completely wrong. In trying to fix them, I ended up deciding to reduce the character height to even out the spacing between the horizontals, as well as replacing the irregular numbers with something a bit more like a small version of the numerals used for the score, leading to this:

In this version, some of the lowercase characters work better than others and, in particular, the 'a', 'e' and 's' are the same height as their corresponding uppercase character. I also realised that my upper- and lowercase 'Y' are identical, with just a 1 pixel row difference in their vertical positioning.

Thinking about it now, I could just as easily have developed a 16x8 pixel font, identical to the C64 version, or an 8x8 one that could be displayed at double-width. The only drawback to that being that the C64's much wider screen could accommodate more text per line, in those wider fonts. To fit the equivalent amount of text on the SAM, each character would have to be just 12 pixels wide.

However, since I knew the SAM can more easily handle multiple character sets, I designed a separate, larger character set for the score, featuring only the numbers from 0 to 9, modelled as closely to the C64 numbers as possible, given that they had to fit within 10x14 pixels rather than 16x16:

The score font on the C64 rounds off the bottom of the '2', but I chose not to do that for the SAM version. I was never quite happy with the '1', though, and recently decided to give it a tweak, making it 1 pixel wider to even out the shading and bulk out the stem. While doing that, I also realised that I'd made a mistake with the '2', since the middle part is wider than on any other number in the set:

As a final touch, I figured I may as well do a bolder version of the default Rufus font...

In some ways, this actually looks better than my original, 'thin' version, coming across almost like a half-size version of the C64 font. I feel that the letters and numbers suit each other better as well, even though the latter are 7 pixels tall rather than 5, so there's a good chance I'll recommend switching over to this once work resumes on the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TLC #1 - What Is 'The Lower Caverns'?

Long story short, The Lower Caverns is an update and expansion of the SAM Coupé conversion of Manic Miner , originally published by Revelation. It's set to be a coverdisk game with an issue of SAM Revival magazine, published by Quazar . Manic Miner , that most quintessential of platform games, has by now appeared on pretty much every system ever made, whether officially, as some sort of homebrew or at the very least running under a Spectrum emulator. It may not appear on so large a range of hardware as Doom , but it must surely be close (although I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a version of Manic Miner that's playable on an emulator running within a Doom mod ). With few exceptions, each adaptation is the same, familiar game at its core, but takes advantage of a new platform's hardware to deliver something that is the very best version of Manic Miner each system could produce. ...And then there was the SAM Coupé version. The SAM Coupé got its version of

RR #1 - Revisiting Past Glories

While the majority of my graphic design/pixel art has been on the SAM Coupé, I started out on the ZX Spectrum, and wanted to get into game development from a very young age. At the very beginning, back in the early/mid 1980s, I used Pixel Pads , created by a Hertfordshire company named Computer Agencies Limited, which I'd acquired at a ZX Microfair. These were ideal for sketching out anything from a complete screen to individual sprite graphics, since they were designed with the Spectrum's 256x192 pixel screen in mind, with the 32x24 attribute block grid marked out using heavier lines. Most of the time, I used pencils but, over the years of using and reusing the pages of the pad, I ended up using felt-tip colouring pens on quite a lot of them, making them harder to reuse effectively in future. Eventually, however, I acquired The Artist II by Bo Jangeborg, which allowed my creativity to take flight in new ways. I wouldn't say I ever mastered The Artist II , nor OCP's Ar

TLC #8 - Keeping Score

Manic Miner is not a game know for an elaborate, intricate, stylish or elegantly-designed UI so, on that point alone, the existing SAM version manages to be an improvement on the original. Willy's air supply is represented by a couple of compressed air cylinders on the right rather than a simple bar running most of the width of the screen. Lives are represented by large, cartoonish (and, to me , somewhat creepy) heads rather than copies of the Miner Willy sprite. Score and high score were deemed worthy of their own font – a pleasant, calligraphic font using the shades of grey available in the unique palette applied to the 56 pixel rows at the bottom of the screen. The gradient border feels a little redundant and wasteful, but this panel does (almost) everything the Speccy version did, while looking slightly prettier by making better use of the SAM's graphical capabilities. The lives counter is a bit of a problem, though. The size of the heads is such that a maximum of three